Most of the names which follow have been drawn from the Book of the Rolls (Liber Irrotulorum) and the Book of Oaths (Liber Iuramentorum). In 1821 and 1822, the present system was begun of recording the issue of commissions to the Captains and of their formal oaths of allegiance. A few, who were already in office at that time, were not noted in this way; their names have been taken from Pigot’s Directories of 1824 and 1837. A number of earlier names have been gathered from the researches of Mr W Cubbon and Captain David Craine, from Monumental Inscriptions (both from Feltham’s Tour of 1797-8 and the modern Family History Society volumes), and from such family histories and obituaries as are available. It will be appreciated that the collections of earlier names are incomplete.

During the last hundred years, a few Captains have held office in more than one parish at different times. Except where indicated, the year given by a name is the date of appointment. As many addresses as possible have been included, although the address given may not have been the lifelong home of the Captain concerned. For ease of reference, the parishes have been arranged in alphabetical order.